- 1 cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
In 6 quart stock pot, mix butter, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and begins to bubble.
Stir sweetened condensed milk into sugar and butter mixture quickly and continuously with a heat resistant rubber scraper, until mixture reads 245° on candy thermometer (approximately 20-30 minutes).
Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir quickly, then pour into parchment-lined 9″x13″ pan. Cool overnight.
Lift parchment out onto cutting board. Cut 1″ strips then individual pieces. Wrap in wax paper squares.
- Prepare pan before you begin. Parchment paper is a must!
- Candy thermometer is also a must!
- Stir, stir, stir…mixture can scorch very quickly.
- 245° is soft caramel…closer to 250° is chewier…any higher and you’re making toffee.
How to Gift Wrap Caramels
Step 1: Cool overnight
Step 2: Cut Vanilla Caramels into 1 inch strips
Step 3: Cut strips into 1 inch pieces
Step 4: Wrap in wax paper, then bag and bow