Butternut Squash Lasagna
Makes 8 Servings
Butternut Squash Mixture
- 4½ lbs butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces (yields about 3½ lbs)
- 2 tbsp Haggen Premier olive oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 package Haggen lasagna noodles
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup loosely packed, shredded fresh sage
- 1 15 oz container Haggen ricotta
- ½ cup cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 8 oz package, Haggen
- shredded mozzarella (2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 5 oz package shredded Caesar Blend, Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 2 Tbsp shredded, fresh sage
Squash Mixture: Preheat oven to 400°. Toss peeled squash in olive oil, with salt and black pepper. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, until light golden and soft. Remove squash from oven and place in bowl. Mash mixture while still warm. Set aside.
Reduce oven heat to 350°
Noodles: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles stirring gently. Cook 8-10 min. until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Onion Mixture: In a sauté pan heat olive oil, add onion, reduce to medium heat, cook 5 min. Add the garlic and red pepper. Cook about 5 min. until the onions begin to caramelize and the pepper is tender. Add sage, cook for 3 min. longer until the sage wilts and begins to soften. Set aside to cool.
Ricotta Mixture: Mix ricotta, cream, egg yolks, mozzarella, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Assembly: Very lightly olive oil 9×13 baking dish. Spread ricotta mixture evenly on the bottom, followed by 3 lasagna noodles. Spread ½ the squash mixture evenly, followed by ½ the onion mixture, another 3 lasagna sheets topped by ½ the ricotta mixture. Repeat the layers, then top with cheese blend.
Bake at 350° approx. 35 min., until cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Sprinkle shredded, fresh sage on top and bake an additional 5 min.
Download the printable Butternut Squash Lasagna Recipe Card.